From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 15:15:15 PST
John Smyth wrote:

>I am looking to upgrade my Bach Cello Suites.  I have a copy of Lynn
>Harrell doing them on London, but I think that a period instrument
>performance might add a little color to the situation... I found
>Bylsma on Sony for the bargain price of $6.99 and then Kirshbaum
>on Virgin for an astonishing $10.99 for 2 CD's.  (I realize that the
>Kirshbaum is not exactly period performance.)

Both the Kirshbaum and the older Bylsma are great buys.  Linden on Harmonia
Mundi is also very good and the price is now reduced.  Then there's the
1990's Bylsma recording which, although at full price, is my favorite
baroque cello recording.  If John is interested in a real gritty period
instrument performance, check out Paolo Beschi's set on Winter & Winter;
this one is about as "nasal" as any hardcore period instrument fan could
want (I think it's sensational).

Don Satz