From:
David Cheng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Sep 2004 19:52:48 -0400
I've always been curious about the programming on XM Radio's classical
channel.  However, I could never get any details on it since they didn't
have any Internet audio streaming nor would they send me lists of the
music they played in the past.

About four weeks ago I was loaned an XM Radio home unit for a free trial.
I've been logging the music that's played on the XM Classical 110 station
and I wanted to share the results so far with you.  (See below.) Please
note that the log is quite haphazard.

Nevertheless, I was tremendously disappointed with XM's offerings.

Firstly, their programming is almost as narrow as that of the terrestrial
radio stations.  Their playlist is firmly in the 19th century, and overall
stays with the "safe" and "comfortable" composers.  The Paul Schoenfield
(1947*) was a nice surprise on my first evening, but after that, very
few pleasant surprises except for the J.E. Gardiner commentary.

Secondly, and most surprisingly, they often repeat play for compositions,
and several times at that.  You'll see in my list several hits of Prokofiev
Concerto #3 and Sym #5, Strauss Alpensymphonie, and of all things, the
Oboe Trio of Anton Wranitsky (1761-1820).  I also noticed that the Berlioz
Requiem and the BBC Proms had been repeated, but I didn't log them the
repeat times.

Keep in mind that this is their flagship Classical station, as opposed
to their Classical Pops station.

Anyway, for those of you considering an XM Radio subscription because
of their classical station, I hope this information is useful to you.

Log follows:
---------------
   Thursday, August 26, 2004
   Morning
   Spohr string quintet; Mozart A major piano sonata K331; John
   Knowles Payne Sym #1

   Afternoon
   ravel daphnis and chloe; chopin mazurkas op.  59; Rachmaninov
   symphonic dances; byrd will you walk; mozart allegro assai (?)

   Evening
   Paul Schoenfield viola concerto; Mendelssohn sym #1; Louise
   Farrenc Sym #2; Brahms piano quintet; Barber violin concerto;
   Copland Sym #3; Sweelinck echo fantasia; Mozart clarinet
   concerto; Reicha wind quintet

   Friday Aug 27th
   morning
   Buxtehude; Bach Brandenburg #1; Tchaikovsky violin concerto;
   Bach Prelude & Fugue #18

   Afternoon
   Mozart piano concerto K. 488; Mendelssohn cello sonata #1

   Evening
   Bartok Dance Suite; Mozart violin and viola duo; Dvorak
   Symphony #8; Beethoven Triple Concerto; Bach Brandenburg #3;
   Berlioz Requiem; Prokofiev Sym #5

   Sunday Aug 29th
   Afternoon
   Stravinsky Sym in E-flat

   Monday Aug 30th
   Morning
   Haydn Sym #54

   Afternoon
   St Saens quartet #1; Chopin piano concerto #1; Schubert
   Impromptus; Telemann Paris quartet #3

   Evening
   Nielsen Aladdin Suite; Sibelius Sym. #2; Strauss Alpensinfonie

   Tuesday
   Morning
   Kalinnikov Sym #2; Brahms Clarinet Trio; Haydn Sym. #102

   Afternoon
   Schubert Sym. #2

   Sat Sep 18
   Morning
   Schubert Piano Trio in E-flat; J.E. Gardiner commentary on
   Beethoven's 9th; Beethoven Sym #9

   Monday
   Morning
   Prokofiev Piano Concerto #3; Strauss Alpensinfonie

   Afternoon
   Weber Piano Sonata #4; Brahms String quintet #1

   Evening
   Stamitz Clarinet Concerto #10; Sullivan Pineapple Poll

   Tuesday
   Morning
   Mendelssohn String quartet op. 44 #2

   Afternoon
   Beethoven piano concerto #4; Spohr Sym #1

   Evening
   Copland Sym #3; Hoffmeister Sinfonia Concertante; Beethoven
   Sym #5; Goldmark Rustic Wedding Symphony

   Wed Sep 22
   Morning
   Wranitsky Oboe Trio

   Afternoon
   Bach Kybd Concerto #1; Mendelssohn Piano Trio #1; Bruckner Sym. #7

   Thursday
   Morning
   Coleridge-Taylor Violin Concerto; Prokofiev Sym #5; Brahms
   Violin Sonata #1

   Afternoon
   Grieg Peer Gynt; Chopin Etudes op. 10; Raff Sym #9

   Evening
   Britten Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra

   Friday
   Morning
   Schumann Sym #1; Bach Kybd Concerto #1; BBC Proms 1995;
   Cherubini String Quartet

   Evening
   Brahms 2 piano sonata; Tchaikovsky Swan Lake; Delius Florida
   Suite

   Sat
   Morning
   Parry English Suite

   Evening
   Beethoven Choral Fantasy; Prokofiev piano concerto #3; Hovaness
   Mysterious Mountain, Strauss Alpensymphonie, Mozart piano
   sonata #6; Wranitsky Oboe Trio.

David