From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Sep 2004 20:29:50 +0000
Bert Bailey responds to Steve Schwartz:

>>It's worth noting, I think, that Copland never worked on a great film,
>>though he worked
>>on a couple of very good ones.
>
>Surely William Wyler's The Heiress (1949) is more than just 'very good'
>...?

For those not familiar with this film, it concerns an obnoxious
and controlling father, a daughter with no spine or standards, and a
worthless man who wants the daughter solely for her money.  I found the
movie overblown and tedious, not even rising to the level of 'good'.
Just like in music, movie awards and quality do not necessarily go hand
in hand.  As for Copland's music, I don't remember it at all.

>Good script too; no corn, even after 55 years.

I thought the film carried a few bushels of corn.  This might be my dislike
of the over-acting of Olivia de Havilland, the only negative aspect for me
of the famous Gone with the Wind.

Tonight I'll be sharing my time with the Patriots/Colts NFL football
game and the movie "The Shawshank Redemption".  It's one of the best
movies ever made and I think highly of the score.  Does anyone know who
composed it?  My wife never watches the film, finding it too depressing.
Personally, I think it's very uplifting.

Don Satz