From:
John Smyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 1999 00:36:28 -0700
Don Satz traces the "path to madness" of an anti-HIPster, culminating with
the final phase, #4:

>4.  The debunking, at its most insipid, leads to silly comments and
>projections and devious questions, many of them voiced on this list.  At
>its worst, the debunking and lack of respect leads to a friction within
>the classical music community, one which this small community can
>hardly afford.
>
>This reminds me of the hostility toward "modernist" music held by many
>listeners: it's alien, unmusical, and a threat.  Those who like it are
>given no respect of their postion and are considered to not even really
>like the music.

then responds to Steve Schwartz in another post *on the same day,* as Steve
blames audiences' suspicion towards modern music on "laziness, guilt, and
resentment:"

>I understand Steve's position, but I can't go with it very far.  Most
>concert goers are looking for entertainment and find much contemporary
>music alien, hard to focus on, and not entertaining.  I'm not going to
>blame them for seeking only entertainment in a familiar packaging.  That's
>their right, and classical music is not a particularly strong force in
>their lives.

Hmmmm.  Politicians hire people to catch this kind of stuff!

I admit, my diving into the HIP argument was a dumb idea, as my
acquaintance with early music is slim, but the experience did create a
desire to investigate further--especially since the HIP mov't is expanding
into periods of music that I like.  And since when is questioning devious?
It's been a long time since people *believed* in order to know, as opposed
to the modern mind, which *does not know* in order to believe.

I would rather get the occasional black eye by laying my sincere
observations, questions and doubts on the table as opposed to changing my
views depending upon which audience I'm currying the favor of.  (And I've
been told I look cute with a black eye.)

As to the other steps down the path:

>1.  The initial reaction is fear of the unknown and fear of loss of
>control and stabilty.
>
>2.  Fear leads to hostility.
>
>3.  Hostility leads to aggressiveness through the strong desire to debunk
>what is unfamiliar and the persons holding those views.

We are *all* capable of such madness.:)  Remember "The All-Wrong CD
Awards", especially the irony-laden 4th and final award?

John Smyth