From:
Albie Cabrera <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Apr 2001 16:31:40 -0700
Anyone get a chance to hear this one? I'm curious...  with the recent
tragedy, and this recording being featured as one of Gramophone's Best
of the Month (current issue)...  good one to get? Wondering if it could
displace my current favorite (and to this point, very solidly so) version
of the 5th by Chailly and the Concertgebouw?

(Yes I know I've been going on and on about Chailly's M5...  and I'm not
confused...  His Bruckner 5 (as well as his B7th) are my references for
these works...  his B0,1,3,4 were, to me, blaaaaah.  His B2 may be the best
of the B2s out there...  but I guess I just don't like the B2, period...
I kinda feel that Brucker got better with maturity...  and I love #s 4-9,
esp 4,5,6,7.  #1 and 2 to me sound like, well, junk.

Unlike Mahler, whose earlier works I like, while still not yet connecting
with his final ones.  #s 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 I REALLY like (yet to hear #3)...
but I just don't *get* #7,8, or 9...  go figure.

So anyway, getting back to the beginning, what do y'all think of the
Sinopoli Brucker 5?

Albie