From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 13:05:07 -0500
Bernard Chasan writes:

>I am usually not inclined to list my five or ten or whatever favorite
>works, but were somebody to threaten me with bodily harm unless I did
>so, "Das Lied von der Erde" would be near the top.

I do possess the above inclination, and here's my list:

Bach - WTC (both books).
       Art of Fugue.
       Musical Offering.
       St. Matthew Passion.
Beethoven - Hammerklavier Piano Sonata.
            Sonatas for Cello and Piano, Nos. 1 & 2.
Brahms - Clarinet Sonatas & Quintet.
Debussy - Preludes.
Handel  - Messiah.
Mahler - Sym. No. 4.
Mozart - Piano Concerto No. 24.
         Clarinet Concerto.
         Great Mass.
Nielsen - String Quartet Opus 5.
Rachmaninov - Piano Concerto No. 3.
Schubert - Piano Sonatas D894 & 959.
Shostakovich - Opus 87 Preludes & Fugues.
Wagner - Meistersinger(Prelude only).

It is a superb Prelude with heroic elements at maximum level.  As you
can see, my favorite form is the orchestra.  Actually, I'm not sure why
orchestral works get most of the ink.  Any ideas?

Don Satz