From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 1999 12:03:25 PST
I always take care of my income tax business in April, since I always
owe the Feds money.  Last April I owed them about $2,000 which I paid as
an honest citizen.  Upon learning that the Feds had collected billions
of "excess" dollars in 1998, I naively assumed that I would receive back
my share of the excess.  Among other items, I intended to use the refund
to plow into 20th century music.

As I should have expected, our Administration intends to give me no
refund at all.  Evidently, once they get their hands on it, it's all
their money.  Of course, I'm not alone.  Every other tax paying U.S.
citizen is also being deprived of earned income.  Now, the Feds will
certainly do things with the excess, and we will be told how beneficial
it all is to us.  However, the fact remains that billions of dollars
will unnecessarily be spent through Government decision making versus
individual decision making.  This does impact economic life in all
areas, including the world of classical music.

Less classical music will be bought than otherwise, and fewer concert
tickets will be sold. This will adversely impact record companies,
orchestras, opera companies, a host of spin-off support activities, and
all the people associated with these activities.  Is this what some
folks would call "Government support of the Arts"?  I bring this up
because many list members firmly favor Government support.  However, do
they consider the indirect Government policies that only hurt the
classical music industry?

Personally, I am thoroughly disgusted.  It's flat-out stealing.  I don't
care if Clinton's convicted, or Gore gets in, or Dan Quayle becomes
president, or Hilary makes a pass at Barenboim.  I WANT MY MONEY
BACK!!!!

Don