From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jan 2000 13:28:40 -0500
Donald Satz wrote:

>Since I've been greatly enjoying the Dovrak string quartets I acquired,
>I'm ready for a complete set of the symphonies.
>
>Kubelik has a full set on DG, and I think that's received much acclaim.
>Are there any other full sets of merit? I could also buy on a one by one
>basis.  Reading the archives, it appeared that Szell was considered a great
>buy for the latter symphonies.  How about Gunzenhauser on Naxos?

Don't know the Guzenhauser.  I have never liked the Kubelik as a set.
Very disappointing.  It seems weak in the early symphonies, if much better
in the later ones.  I've owned it twice, sold it both times if that means
anything.  This may date me to the LP days (no surprise), but I love the
Kertesz set on London, supplemented maybe by his 9th with the VPO if you
want to go all the way wiht Kertesz.  Rowicki I found very dull.  Szell's
7th and 8th are marvelous, and the 9th is pretty good too as I recall.  I
sort of liked the old Kosler (I'm warming up to him), but I remember being
eventually disapointed with it.  I could change my mind if I hear it again,
though.

Roger Hecht