From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Sep 1999 00:08:42 -0500
Donald Scarinci wrote:

>Does anyone have an opinion about which artist has done the best recording
>of "The Planets." I'd like a fully digital version done with 20 bit
>processing for the best possible sound quality.

First of all Donald, let me express that it is my pet peeve in the entire
realm of music to hear someone insist that a recording be made with a
certain technology to declare it the best.  You eliminate some of the
finest expressions of music making this century if you limit yourself to
only digital recordings.  It is a practice that I find as uninformed and
downright silly.

As for recordings of The Planets, you won't be disappointed with the Dutoit
recording (all digital if you must) on Decca with Montreal.  It is superb.
The Levine Chicago recording is also fine.  The best of all though is the
happily analough recording by Sir Adrian Boult.

Kevin Sutton