From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 2000 08:56:15 -0600
Aman Ahuja asks:

>* I have a collection of about 50 CDs now, and plan on using some carefully
>saved money over Christmas to buy some much wanted CDs.  I have hardly any
>Bach (having only recently looked into Boroque), and plan to buy the
>following (your opinions?):
>
>"Concertos for Oboe and Triple Concerto", Virgin
>The Violin Concertos, played by Izaak Perlman, EMI
>"The 6 Brandenburg Concertos and four Orchestral Suites", a 3 CD set from
>     Archive.  It apparently got very good reviews.

Go with the last, if this is the Pinnock recording.  Really good.  The
Concertos for Oboe and Triple Concerto are minor Bach (which is major just
about everyone else).  The Violin Concerti are quite fine, but you have a
huge range of violinists to choose from, many at least as good as Perlman
in this particular piece and some of those on budget labels.

>I'm also looking into the Requiem by Mozart -- there is a good deal on a
>Penguin recording.

Who's conducting? Who are the soloists? I've never heard a CD of this work
that satisfied me.  I end up listening to "safe" performances.  I don't
care for the new editions of the work that seek to overturn Suessmayr, the
first editor and the only one who actually talked to Mozart about the
piece.

>* Should I be wary of buying CDs online?  They sometimes do not specify
>the musicians/orchestras.  Any tips/suggestions on what to look for when
>browsing a CD store?  I've had the bad luck of purchasing recordings that
>even I, with my novice ears, could tell was badly done.

I've had very few problems (one exception: Columbia House, which doesn't
understand how to bill).  You might check out our list moderator's
ClassicalNet web site for online purchasing at:

   http://www.classical.net/music/links/commercial/musicretail.html

I think over 70 sources are listed.  You can find reviews there as
well.  It's a very fine site.  Try also Classical Music on the Web,
a comprehensive site in the UK. Also, you might ask about particular
recordings among this group.  If list members know, they are happy to share
info.  Just provide as much information as you can.  For inexpensive CDs,
I recommend BMG and Berkshire Record Outlet.  The catch to both places is
that selection is limited.  Since I'm on a budget, I check there first.

>* Where can I find information on pieces of classical music? ...

Try the library.  Grove's Dictionary of Music and Musicians is a standard
reference work.  Try the list membership.  Try ClassicalNet.

Steve Schwartz