From:
Wes Crone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jan 2000 00:29:42 -0800
Jouzas Rimas wrote:

>Would you help me to find a good recording of Bach's partitas and sonatas
>for violin?

I have to tell you that I am all for period performances regarding works
from the time up to and including the Baroque period.  Mostly I won't
bother listening to modern instrument performances of early music.
However, with solo violin works I am not quite so picky.  Perhaps the
difference in sound between a modern violin and a Baroque violin has not
made such an impression on me as to cause me to choose one or the other.
Perhaps it is only Bach's solo violin works which delight me so well on
both instruments.  Whatever the case may be, I would like to recommend the
set as performed by Nathan Milstein.  It is one of the first performances
I heard and still affects me very deeply every time I hear it.  HIP all
the way but I like Milstein for the solo partitas and sonatas.

--Wes Crone