From:
Gene Halaburt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 17:38:03 -0700
Doris wrote:

>Don Satz wrote:
>
>>You  feel you have to prove yourself, to deserve your audience.  So you
>>are tougher with yourself, rather than being able to love yourself,   the
>>music, your audience.
>
>Janet Baker says something along these lines in her book, "Full Circle"
>if I remember rightly.  She said that she realised that she should give
>up worrying about what evreyone was thinking, do her best an enjoy it.
>She retired from the stage,I believe at fifty.

If only she had stopped recording then.  I wonder what prompted her to make
the recording available on Virgin Classics 5 61469 2 (Berlioz: Les Nuits
d'Ete; Mendelssohn: Psalm 42 - Infelice; Brahms: Alto Rhapsody; Respighi:
La Sensitiva)? Truly awful.  I should mention that I was a huge fan of her
singing in the 70s and 80s.

GeneH