From:
Reid McLean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 16:12:59 -0500
As someone who enjoys both of these artists and usually hates crossover
projects I'd give this one a B/B+.  Big von Otter fans who enjoy a lot
of folk and pop music may give this a higher mark.

On the plus side, there is very astute song selection, a nice chamber-pop
approach and Ms. von Otter has a lovely voice.  Beach Boys and Tom Waits
songs work especially well, as does a surprising tune by ABBA stalwarts
Bjorn and Benny.

On the minus side, vocal training and original language issues create
intermittent problems for von Otter, Elvis can't sing very well (never
could, sorry, and I'm kind of a fan.  Fortunately, he does not sing too
much here.) and there is not enough track-to-track variety =AF too many
ballads approached in the same general way, both vocally and
instrumentally.

This is certainly a cut or two above the usual crossover fare: slumming
opera stars singing Broadway and pickup orchestras slogging through
"Classic Rock" transcriptions.  (Exception in the latter category, the
Nigel Kennedy/Jaz Coleman Doors project =AF another B/B+.)

Reid McLean mailto:[log in to unmask]