From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 11:56:53 +0200
Nate DeMaria [[log in to unmask]] left this message in the archieves:

>I am looking for a recording of the complete Beethoven Symphonies.  I would
>appreciate recommendations for a good cycle with emotional playing, an any
>feedback on budget recordings of the symphonies.

I belong to those who think there is no complete set which provides the
top cream of recordings for everyu symphony.  I would for the different
symphonies go for:

1. Wiener Philarmoniker/Wilhelm Furtwaengler (30.11.1952)

2. Berliner Philarmoniker/Karl Boehm (11.08.1968)

3. Wiener Philarmoniker/Hans Schmidt-Isserstedt
or Berliner Philarmoniker/Karajan (1969)

4. Harnoncourt

5. Berliner Philarmoniker/Klemperer (11.05.1966)

6. Berliner Philarmoniker/Karajan (I know there are several, I have not
been able to identify this late recording, informative, eh?)

7. Anton Nanut (1989)

8. Cleveland Orchestra/Szell

9. Sueddeutsche Philarmonik/Leo Gantz

There are mine.  However this was not what was asked for in the original
post.  For a complete set I'd go for Szell or Karajans 1944 (I am not bad
sound sensitive) or (and I know some listers want to kill me for this:)
any of his late sets.

Mats Norrman