From:
Joseph Sowa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Sep 1999 17:21:37 -0400
Don Satz wrote:

>Mozart's still being beat up a little on the list.  Just as a counter
>measure, I'd like to point out that I feel Mozart's the king of the
>Concerto and Divertimento/Serenade, and not far off from that level with
>his solo keyboard works, chamber works, symphonies, operas, and sacred
>choral works.  It's a great track record and well deserved.  Mozart's
>my second favorite composer, after Bach.

I can see what you're saying about the concerto's.  I can't think of anyone
off hand who wrote many spectacular concertos (except for maybe Beethoven
or Vivaldi but we won't go there).  As for Serenades, I say he's co-king
with Dvorak whose two serenades are both profound, restful, and because of
this make up for that fact there are only two as compared to I think 13 or
14.

Joseph Sowa