From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jul 2000 11:30:10 PDT
EMI just released a 2-cd set of Bach sacred choral music from Stephen
Cleobury directing the King's College, Cambridge, and The Academy of
Ancient Music.  The set includes the Magnificat and other selections.
I'm not familiar with Cleobury as a period instrument band conductor;
in fact, I have no knowledge of him in any repertoire or style.

Has anyone listened to this new set? Does Cleobury hold his own compared to
the established period instrument conductors? I'm interested in his musical
orientation - don't care if he's gay, straight, or androgynous.

In the past, I would have snapped up this set without hesitation.  Since
financial conditions aren't what they used to be, "caution" is now my
theme.

Don Satz