From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 09:47:09 PDT
Juozas Rimas wrote:

>There are two general causes of Chopin's underestimate:
>
>1.  Some may not be inclined to devote much time listening to him if
>they are not positively disposed to piano music, or have a preference for
>the orchestra.
>
>2.  "piano music" is somewhat of a lesser genre-....

Concerning comment(1), that's a valid consideration.  If you don't care
for piano music, you won't be paying much attention to Chopin.  I suppose
that's one of the negatives of composing within a narrow range.

I can't agree with the 2nd comment.  This theme is that solo music is less
than ensemble works which are less than symphonic works which are less than
vocal works with orchestra.  I don't buy any of that.  Each genre has its
own set of difficulties.

Don Satz