From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 11:39:38 PDT
John Smyth wrote:

>... introducing deficiences is an old educational technique called
>disputation--it causes the "believer" to constantly refine his
>"thesis," (in this case, why HIP is beneficial to our understanding
>and appreciation of music), and for the "disputer," he is provided
>the needed substance behind an accepted Truth.

That's a mouthful.  And I thought I left the academic world in 1972 to
commence being productive.  Overall, I have no problem with John's approach
as long as he restricts it to himself and others who like to think like
him; but, he's throwing it my way and Im not going to catch it.  I'll leave
these heavy areas to the musical theorists and historians.  But, I'm just
a simple and regular guy (I like saying that) who is into classical music
for enhanced pleasure in life.  I get enhanced pleasure from listening to
period instruments and some other aspects of HIP performances.  Why would
I feel any kind of need to justify my enhanced pleasure? However, I must
admit that "disputation" is a classy word.  Don't mind me - just venting
my long standing anti-intellectual mode of operation.

Don Satz