From:
Ron Chaplin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 15:42:50 PDT
Keith Dixon wrote that he has found what must be the same recording of the
complete works of Scott Joplin that I found on Laserlight.

Well, I think you're right, Keith.  I added up the recorded time on the
5 discs and came up with 269 minutes, 22 seconds.  I also think you are
right when you wrote that Laserlight probably added a 5th disc for economic,
rather than artistic or technical, reasons.  Each disc package has the same
biographical blurb in a 2 page booklet.  On the back of each jewel case are
the tracks on the disc with a note for each, probably the same as the
Bescol.  The selections are played in the order they were published, except
that the last disc which has the Silver Swan Rag whose roll was found by a
collector in 1970 and recorded in 1971.  There is no biography of Richard
Zimmerman and there are no recording dates.

I noticed what sounded to me as a few mis-hits of the keys in my set.  I
wonder if Keith noticed the same thing on his.

I also wonder what Keith thinks of the recordings.

I would also like to know the recording history.  Curiously, on only the
third disc of the Laserlight set is AAD printed, which could be an
indication of how old the recordings are.

Regardless, I enjoy them very much.  I would probably have bought the set
if it had the same material on 6 or 7 discs.  At $7.99 a disc, I felt that,
for me, I couldn't loose and I was right.

Ron Chaplin