From:
Karl Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 07:37:23 -0600
Walter Meyer wrote:

>About four and a half years ago somebody on this list requested suggestions
>for a 90 minute tape of music that might be considered appropriate for
>introducing a receptive novice to the scope and depth of classical music.
>With appropriate caveats preannounced, this was my suggestion at the time:
>
>1.  The Mendelssohn Violin concerto in its entirety. ...

Reading Walter's note, I wondered what I would put together if I had to
limit myself to 90 minutes to represent classical music.

Perhaps a selection of every major historic period...

some chant, a virelai, a madrigal, some organum, a motet, certainly some
Monteverdi...oops, I guess my time is up and I didn't even get to Xenakis.

I wonder about limiting the definition of classical music when opening
that door. While some prospective students may find it all overwhelming,
others may take delight in being exposed to the possibilities.

Karl