From:
Philip Jongeneel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Apr 2001 11:10:03 +0100
Robin Mitchell-Boyask wrote:

>This week the Philadelphia Orchestra is performing the complete Ma Vlast
>with an intermission.  I'm trying to figure out whether this is normal,
>or an attempt to disguise how pathetically short the program is.

To me this borders on the outrageous.  First of all, Ma Vlast is a
symphonic cycle, and should be performed without intermission...as should
any symphony or similar work.

Where do you place the intermission?

Would the Philadelphia Orchestra program Beethoven's Fifth, for instance,
as the only work for a concert and place an intermission between the second
and thirds movements (better yet beween the third and fourth movements...)?

I find this attitude of orchestra, Sawallisch and the unions to be
tantamount to committing fraud on the paying audience as well as on the
music being performed.

Shame on all involved.

Philip Jongeneel