From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2000 14:25:18 -0500
Janos Gereben writes:

>Take four Germans in their mid-thirties, call 'em the Petersen Quartet ...
>
>Close your eyes and you will hear performances of the Beethoven Op. 18,
>No. 2; Op. 29, No. 2; and the Shostakovich No. 4 that you had expected
>only from remastered vinyl.

You don't need to go back to remastered vinyl, because the Petersen has a
cd with opus 18 -2, and opus 132.  It is on the Capriccio label, and it is
indeed very good.  I had never heard of this group when I acquired the cd,
but Capriccio cds are only about $ 10, and they record the great Shirai-
Hoell lieder team, so their credibility is very high!!!

Professor Bernard Chasan
Physics Department, Boston University