From:
Andy Jackson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 11:16:35 -0500
Laurence Glavin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I went to the Concord (Mass.) Orchestra concert last night (03/27) that
>was the subject of a prior discussion because it contained a symphony
>by Robert Simpson (#5).

I went to the Friday performance (3/26).  This was the first time I
have heard the piece live, and I am very glad I did. The amateur Concord
Orchestra did their gallant best to play the Simpson 5th, but as some
of them said to me, both before and after the performance, "It's really
HARD".  The biggest casualty was the first movement, which starts with
such a bang and a rush of fury after a long quiet chord.  After that,
most of the sense of the piece came over, including the amazing mini
scherzo that is the mirror point of the whole structure, and the spine
tinglingly creepy build up to the last movement at the end of the second
canoni.  Richard Pittman (the conductor) controlled the pacing and
dynamics of the coda perfectly (somewhat better than the recorded version
by Vernon Handley I think).

Prior to the concert, Richard gave a great little introduction to the
piece (including musical examples) that captured the spirit of Simpson's
own broadcasts (if you have heard his talk on the 9th Symphony recording,
you will know what I mean).  Speaking to Richard after the concert, he
told me he has been wanting to perform this piece ever since he heard
Andrew Davis and the BBC SO perform it at the Proms in 1990.  Yes, that's
14 years ago.

I agree with Laurence's assessment of Sangyoung Kim.  She had extraordinary
command of the Brahms.  I am sure we will hear a lot more of her.

Best wishes,
Andy Jackson