From:
Christine Labroche <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 12:03:55 +0200
[log in to unmask] writes:

>For a research project...I am trying find or compile a list of well known
>individuals who were amateur musicians active playing chamber music.
>
>Paul Klee

Coincidentally, I was recently listening to Arne Nordheim's "Partita for
Paul" commissioned for the "Paul Klee and Music" exhibition in the 1980s
- five fine pieces for violin solo with digital delay, structurally and
rhythmically inspired by five of Klee's paintings bearing a direct or
indirect relation to music in their titles or in their structure.
(BIS-CD-1212)

Klee, the violinist, chose painting over music, but music remained
essential.

For example, Paul Klee:

   "Polyphony certainly exists in the musical domain.  The attempt
   to transpose this form in the visual domain would be in itself
   unremarkable.  But, to use the discoveries that music has revealed
   in a particular way in certain polyphonic masterpieces, to
   penetrate deeply in this cosmic-like sphere, to emerge with a
   new vision of art and follow the evolution of these new acquisitions
   in the field of visual representation, is already much better.
   The simultaneity of several independent themes constitutes a
   reality which does not exist solely in music - likewise, the
   coincidence of all essential aspects of a reality in a single
   instance - it has its foundation and its roots in any phenomena
   everywhere."

So I was wondering what music has been written specifically for, or in
hommage to, the well-known individuals and amateur musicians that Karl
Miller seeks.

Martinu's 1943 "Five Madrigal Stanzas" for Einstein immediately spring
to mind, with their most bearable 'lightness of being"...  The more
virtuoso piano part was written for Robert Casadesus but Einstein and
Martinu 'premiered' the work privately.

Paul Silverthorne wrote:

>Hear samples from my latest CD 'Invocations' at:
>http://blackboxmusic.com/flash/detail.lasso?releaseID=10126&catnum=BBM1058&page=audio

I bought the disc directly some time ago (and downloaded the extras) -
no regrets ;-)

Regards,

Christine Labroche