From:
Roger Hecht <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 22:57:18 -0500
Roy Ellefsen wrote:

>Kosman's article reminded me that I have been wanting to get a recording of
>this famous Elgar piece, which, incidentally, I have never heard performed,
>for some time now.  Can someone out there recommend a good recording.
>Price matters, but is not to the exclusion of quality.

Boult--magnificent. Noble. Unless tenor Nicolai Gedda bothers you. I don't
mind him at all. My first choice in this work.
Barbirolli--not as noble, more romantic and earthier, with the great Janet
Baker. Playing and sound not quite as good as Boult, but a great
performance. The tenor is Richard Lewis. He's more traditional than Gedda.
I prefer Boult, but many prefer Barbirolli. Depends on the qualities you're
looking for. Kim Borg, the bass is a bit stiff.
Hickox--kind of Boultian. Worth looking into if you know Gedda and don't
like his rather operatic approach. Hickox is softer grained with his
phrases, more choral in a sense. He's good, but I prefer Boult, whom I
prefer as a conductor generally.
Rattle--I love this performance but would never recommend it. John
Mitchenson and Baker are strained, and not everyone will like Rattle's
drama which is always interesting.
Sargent--the classic mono with Heddle Nash and Gladys Ripley. But this
piece deserves stereo in one's only recording.
Gibson--okay, but not quite as structured and powerful.
Britten--a favorite of some. Very dramatic, on the fast side. Again the
tenor is the issue. How do you like Peter Pears? I used to love this
recording, but I don't like it as much as I used to. I want some nobility
in this work, and I don't feel enough of it here.

Nevertheless, I have all these recordings, as well as Sargent's second one,
which, believe it or not, I've never heard.

There is one with Handley that is supposed to be good. I'll get it some
day, but I haven't heard it.

Most of these should be relatively inexpensive. Except for HIckox. And I'm
not sure Rattle is available. Handley is in the US but only as a special
import.

Roger Hecht