From:
Geoffrey Gaskell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 08:34:32 +1200
Mimi Ezust wrote:

>Preference is Just Taste.  (Steve Schwartz is on vacation, so I have to say
>it for him.) JUST TASTE.  It can be informed, it can be educated, it can be
>many things, but it still boils down to TASTE.

Personally I think that Britten's War Requiem has a taste similar to Sweet
& Sour Pork with noodles.  Other people might consider the flavour more
akin to Whitchety Grubs, but that would be their concern and taste buds,
not mine.

Recordings conducted by Otto Klemperer generally have the flavour of a
Sunday Roast Beef with Yorkshire Pudding.

Incidentally Eric Satie's 3 Gymnopedies in terms of taste are rather
like a small bowl of radishes.  And speaking of radishes, the ancient Greek
comic playwright Aristophanes had some very interesting suggestions about
the preparation of radishes, but being the responsible & respectable
citizen that I am, I shall not repeat these here.

Geoffrey Gaskell