From:
"Willem G. Vijvers" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Jan 2000 20:59:00 +0000
Donald Satz wrote:

>Yes, and I've been waiting for the major record companies to "fight back"
>by issuing their own super budget new release series and providing their
>new artists substantial promotional exposure.  This hasn't happened

In Holland at least this did happen.  Old recordings of good quality (DGG,
Decca etc.) are being reissued at a price of $ 5 (2/3 of Naxos).  Naxos is
now offering a lot of CDs at the same price.

Five dollars will buy you also four CDs from Brilliant Classics, some of
which are, as Naxos sometimes, the best at any price.

For more than ten years US prices were about one half of the Dutch ones.
Now we seem to be at the better end.  It must be a very special recording
indeed, to be worth $25 nowadays, as is still being asked for recent issues
from the major companies.  That is twenty times Brilliant Classics!

Now I have to figure out how to increase listening time, which is the
limiting factor rather than cost of CDs.

Willem Vijvers   <[log in to unmask]>