From:
Alan Dudley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 17:14:32 +1100
Don Satz on Friday wrote:

>The reason I liked Zacharias so much at that time was that he was a
>master at smoothing out Scarlatti's music.  Yes, sometimes it did sound
>like Scarlatti in a coma, but I think that Zacharias had a vision and made
>good on it.

I wonder how Don feels about Domenico Scarlatti slowed down, simplified,
transposed, added to, arranged in four movements, published as 12 Concerti
Grossi and played by four soloists on violin, cello and harpsichord with
St.  Neville and the Academy of Martin in the Fields as ripieno.  It is
certainly smooth, probably fairly authentic mid-18th century, and if you
don't feel that the whole thing is a monstrous plagiarism, very (IMO)
enjoyable.

Charles Avison published it in 1744.  The Academy (sorry about the
Spoonerism) recorded it in 1993 (I think) on Philips 438 806-2.

I do prefer Horowitz on the piano. Not so smooth though.

Alan Dudley