From:
Etha Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Aug 2008 18:50:34 -0700
Qeenan's article is nothing but projection, over and over again.  Basically:
"I tried to like new music and didn't, therefore everyone who claims to
like it is just a smug, self-satisfied faker." I see this over and over
again with people who don't care for contemporary music and it really
gets wearying.

Qeenan even says, "I have tried to come to terms with the demands of
modern music.  I am no lover of Renaissance Muzak, and own tons of records
by Berg, Varese, Webern, Rihm, Schnittke, Ades, Wuorinen, Crumb, Carter,
and Babbitt: I consider myself to be the kind of listener contemporary
composers would need to reach if they had any hope of achieving a
breakthrough.  So far, this has not happened, and I doubt that it will."
He uses himself as the paragon of the modern listener, and then he calls
fans of contemporary music "smug"?  That's rich...

Etha