From:
David Harbin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Nov 2005 14:29:22 +0000
I've owned the Blomstedt/SFSO (Decca) Nielsen 2&3 CD for years.  It won
a Garmophoen award and I've always been happy with it ...  until now.
I found the Thomson/RSNO 3&5 (Chandos) in a very cheap sale and was
amazed at how much more firey it was.  Blomsteadt sounds comparatively
mellow and too controlled.  Also, the dynamics of the Chandos set are
much wider.  In the final movement in particluar there is a world of
difference between the two conductors.  Thompson is much more ready to
let the brass blaze and scale back whereas Blomstead is even to the point
of comparative blandness.

I wonder then if there are any other Neilsen sets I should be exploring?

Kind regards + thanks,

David Harbin
Nottingham, UK