From:
"D. Stephen Heersink" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2000 21:10:11 -0800
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]> writes:

>Since I've been greatly enjoying the Dovrak string quartets I acquired, I'm
>ready for a complete set of the symphonies.  I have a recording or two of
>the last three symphonies but none of the earlier ones.  If memory serves,
>I have Davis doing the last three on Philips and Harnoncourt's 7th or 8th
>(whichever he did first).

Nemi Jarvi on Chandos is my favorite, although Kertesz on London and
the Naxos set are also very good alternatives.  Naxos has the best sound,
IMHO, Jarvi the best performances, and Kertesz is the most accessible and
probably closest to what the composer intended, but the sonics show their
age.  Kubelik doesn't stand up against any one of these three sets.  If
you're on a budget, go for the Naxos and add (in any event) Barbarolli and
the Halle Orchestra's Eighth!  Barbarolli is a must have!  It's revelatory.
Kertesz is always a good set to have on hand because it seems so naturally
performed.  Jarvi stands out because of good, solid performances and good,
solid sound.  It's not outstanding, like the Barbirolli, but it is a cut
above the others.  But the "cut above" is one of diminishing returns, and
the Naxos may be the place to start.

Stephen Heersink
San Francisco
http://home.att.net/~dshsfca/