From:
Aaron Rabushka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 16:56:38 -0500
Good clarinet music? As far as concertos go there are those of Mozart,
Weber (including the concertino), Nielsen, Copland, and Stravinsky (Ebony
Concerto) for starters.  I also enjoy Mozart's Sinfonia Concertante, K.
297b, even if its parentage is suspect.  I understand that there are
several clarinet concertos by Reinecke although I've never heard any of
them.  Corigliano's is also well worth a gander, and you can also try my
own if you're willing to cross into the exotic territory of a double
concerto with soprano and bass clarinets out front (VMM-3038--see my web
page for a swatch).

For chamber music Mozart's quintets first comes to mind, as do the woodwind
quintets of Rejcha, Nielsen and Briccialdi.  Beethoven's Trio, op.  8
(clarinet, cello, and piano) is also excellent.  Many value the chamber
works of Brahms that feature the clarinet (quintet, trio, two sonatas),
although I find them overly opaque.  Symphonies that have famous clarinet
solos include Tchaikovsky 4 & 5, Nielsen 5, Brahms 3, and Mahler 1.

Aaron J. Rabushka
http://www.cowtown.net/users/arabushk/