From:
Wes Crone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 00:05:25 -0800
Andrys wrote of my "flaky" generalizations of Mozart and my low opinion of
Vivaldi:

>Mozart had light and heavy pieces, and I can't imagine generalizing about
>his music as light and flaky (as seems implied but maybe I'm misreading).

We are two different people Andrys and I can quite easily generalize about
Mozart.  It just so happens that I am not attracted to basically any of his
music.  I do like the Symphony 39 and the #40.  The rest of what I have
heard(and that is quite a bit of music I have suffered through) delighted
me VERY little.  I am not generalizing after only hearing a work or two.
I have heard dozens and dozens.

>Do you play piano? Get a copy sometime of the Mozart symphonies for
>4 hands -- it's a sure way to hear all the wonderful things that are
>happening, fascinating progressions, in the symphony #40 and others.

I do play a little piano. Actually, I suppose it is average size but
that's beside the point.  I am a composer myself and listening to the fine
details is like breathing to me.  Mozart just doesn't do much for me.  I
would probably enjoy the piano version of the symphonies but no more so
than the orchestral versions.

>Some orchestras have played him in such smoothed out fashion that he just
>seems light and pretty where he isn't.  Granted, he wrote a lot of fluff
>as requested too.

The way an orchestra plays the piece nearly never influences my opinion of
what is actually being played.  My main concerns are what Mozart did with
the piece.  This chord change, this melody, that rhythm and the texture
overall.  The orchestra can play it smooth as silk but it won't change the
harmony or so on.  I've heard some pretty darn smooth recordings of Haydn
and Schubert but they didn't bother me because I am so attracted to the
music.

Responding to the following Wes Crone assessment of Vivaldi:

>>I'll take some Henry Purcell or Marin Marais or Matthew Locke any day of
>>the week.  Bottom line: I don't think you'll find anything from Vivaldi
>>that will interest you any more than the 4 seasons.
>
>Wrong bottom line - I have no liking for his 4 seasons though I might
>admire certain things about them.  I just don't care to hear them.  But
>I love other works of Vivaldi, and mainly some interesting works found by
>going into the library to find interesting works to play in a small group
>that loves to play.

I was actually telling this to Mr. Rimas because he asked the list's
opinion.  I made the decision that Mr. Rimas might actually have similar
taste to mine and decided to go ahead and give him my overall opinion of
Vivaldi's music (music which I have thoroughly tested and rejected).  It's
funny you should say what you said in closing.  We are on opposite ends of
the taste spectrum concerning the Italian master.  I am very much attracted
to the entire Opus 8 and his opus 1 trio sonatas.  The other lot of works
just don't make any impression on me to even the slightest degree.  No
implications but I have heard much negativity concerning the 4 seasons and
I suspect it has something to do with the "Beethoven's 5th syndrome".
Certain people will reject certain music if it enjoys mass acceptance.

--Wes Crone