From:
Michael Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 11:34:20 EST
I'm very curious to hear the circumstances under which you heard it in the
spring.  It is religious music, being part of the service for the major
Jewish holiday Kol Nidre, which is part of the high holy days...  I played
it last fall at a local synagogue.  Of course there's more than one piece
with this title, but for the piece to be arresting enough for you to want
to hear again, and that you could only find recordings for cello, makes me
pretty sure I know which one you mean.  When I read your first post, I
searched in vain for the music I played from.  There is a cello obligatto
part, I do remember; we were unable to obtain a cellist however.  I would
be surprised indeed if you were to find a commercial recording with a
violin featured as the soloist, as the cello is integral to the nature of
this beautiful piece, a somber, mournful dialogue between cantor and
cellist.

Michael Cooper