From:
Mats Norrman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Mar 2000 18:24:04 +0100
David Runnion [[log in to unmask]] wrote:

>... there's an old phrase, "There's no such thing as a bad orchestra,
>only a bad conductor" and to a large extent, this is true. I play in an
>orchestra that is not by any means Major (Palma de Mallorca, Spain) and
>the difference in the quality of the performance is amazing, depending
>on the conductor. One week the musicmaking will be on the very highest
>level, exciting and involved, and the next week the same band will sound
>listless and un-together.

I can also think it has to do with what is being played.  I want to see it
so that sometimes it must have something to do with the orchestramembers
ability to "percieve" the music.  You know everything isn't easygoing
Beethoven.  What does it sound like first time an orchestra plays, say,
Pendereckis "Threnody"?

Mats Norrman