From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 10:11:37 PST
I've been listening the past few days to a DG Galleria recording of Haydn's
"Surprise" and "Clock" symphonies performed by Eugen Jochum and the London
Philharmonic.  These poerformances were originally recorded in the early
1970's.

Although I had good memories of the disc, it sounds even better to me now
(must be my additional maturity).  Colin Davis has been and remains my
favorite conductor of Haydn symphonies, but Jochum has such superb pacing
and understanding of the Haydn idiom that I feel that I'm not listening to
Jochum's Haydn, but to Haydn himself.

Just a few words about the recorded sound.  Being recorded almost 30 years
ago, I'm finding that boosting the bass response and lowering the treble
response results in a very fine and rich sound.  In my car, I just put it
on "super bass" and power my way around town.

Don Satz