From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 17:13:43 PST
There's been some discussion of Hakon Borresen(1876-1954) on the list.
Although a relatively obscure Danish composer, some of his works are seeing
the light through recordings on CPO and Dacapo.  I had stated in the past
that Borresen's symphonies were not going down too well with me, but I've
been listening lately to his Violin Concerto in G major(1904).

The Violin Concerto is an excellent work.  Don't expect any of
that late-romantic lushness with a hint of modern times.  The Concerto is,
to me, thoroughly a Romantic-era work in the general mold of Mendelssohn's
or Tchaikovsky's.  But, with a difference, less of a tendency towards
histrionics and emotions which one might question as to sincerity.  Other
than that, Borresen's concerto has all the elements wanted of a great
romantic violin concerto: excellent melodic development, beautiful themes,
exciting climaxes, mystery, etc.  I'm surprised that this work has not
caught on among the majority of classical music lovers.  It easily stands
tall next to most of the much better known violin concertos which are
performed at concerts on a regular basis.

For those who might be interested, Borresen's Violin Concerto can be found
on a Dacapo release, 8.224059, coupled with his first symphony.  Owain
Arwel Hughes directs the Aalborg Symphony Orchestra with Rebecca Hirsh as
the soloist.  The performance is fine, and the recording is also, although
a little "grainy".

Don Satz