From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 07:48:37 -0500
Miguel Muelle:

>I wonder how those who play in the orchestras feel about this.  Do they
>really appreciate being ovated (?) every time?  Would they like to see
>some discernment and control, so that when people leap to their feet (as
>I have done on some occasions) it truly means something?

Well, I live in New Orleans.  It so happens I went to a pretty good
concert last night -- Weber Oberon Overture, Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto
No.  2, and Beethoven Symphony No.  4.  Stefan Sanderling (Kurt's boy)
conducted.  It was a good concert, but not outstanding.  Standing ovations
for the Tchaikovsky and for the Beethoven.  I stayed put.  The orchestra
members seemed happy to get the attention.

Now, a couple of weeks ago, Elmar Oliveira and Klauspeter Seibel did
a fantastic Brahms Violin Concerto -- one of the best I've heard (and,
thanks to the hurricane, on only one rehearsal).  You bet I was on my
feet.

On the other hand, the Cleveland Orchestra, which very likely has its
fair share of great performances, doesn't get a standing O as a matter
of audience habit.  I've sometimes been the only one standing.  But then,
we Midwesterners are rather reserved, and Clevelanders have become
accustomed to a very, very high standard.  The audience is content
to remain sitting and to glow with quiet pride.

Steve Schwartz