From:
Nick Perovich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 21:45:11 -0400
Ramon Khalona wrote:

>Sad to bring this up today, the day Peter Maag has passed, but his memory
>will live in the great recordings he made.
>
>No doubt Old Peter will be conducting Mendelssohn as well, behind the
>proverbial pearly gates.

Indeed he will.  That Decca recording of the "Scottish" Symphony caught
the feel of sea and storm in the first movement in a way that has not
been equalled by any other performance or recording that I have ever come
across.  We heard him a couple of years ago, conducting Mozart at the Grant
Park concerts in Chicago, and it was a privilege to be present.  I am sorry
to learn of his passing but will always be grateful for the performances of
his I've been lucky enough to hear.

Nick