From:
Donald Clarke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Oct 2007 16:36:25 -0700
I responded to a private note from Dave Wolf, but it bounced:

...I was mildly curious [about Rhapsody]. On Sunday the site allowed me
to search, but today it won't, unless I take out a trial membership, and
I am unhandy with this stuff...  I have no confidence in any computer"s
ability to download anything without crashing or freezing up.  Anyway I
already have too much music to listen to!

Rhapsody is obviously however a harbinger of things to come, for those
who can handle the cybertech side.  I have worked at Barnes & Noble for
nine years, and I am corresponding with the marketing director in New
York; I think they are missing a good bet in not trying to serve the
sort of music fans who subscribe to music chatlists, and who would still
like to browse in a record store.  (There is no point in browsing because
the backstock never changes, they do not get in enough new releases, etc
etc.) But I don"t think anything will come of it.  A Borders manager
told me that that company would get rid of the music if they could.
Someday, probably, there won"t be anything but downloads.

Donald Clarke