From:
Bob Draper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 12:18:28 +0000
Walter Meyer wrote:

>Bob Draper wrote:
>
>>I would not use the expression orchestral. I think non-vocal might be
>>better as I include many chamber works in my favourite works.
>
>Maybe I read your list too fast, but unless you consider the Brandenburg
>Concerti as chamber works, I recognized no chamber works among your list
>of favorite pieces of music.  No quartets, no trios, no sonatas, no
>Lieder....

Yes, I realed off this list late at night after just returning from
holiday.  The impact of 700+ items in my mail box and the rush to comment
combined with 7 hours travelling made my brain go a bit mushy.

On another day I would give a somewhat different list which would certainly
contain some chamber works including Haydn quartets like "The Rider" etc
and Schubert trios like the wonderful D898.  There would be some Liszt
piano music and the Janacek quartets 1&2 would be in there somewhere.
Haydn's Nelson Mass would have been considered as would the Schumann mass
and a Schubert mass.  I would also think hard about including a recording
of Mozart's coronation mass on the list and some Purcell like King Arthur.

There again on another day the list would be quite different again.

I did think of doing a posting 'Joy Of Music' before I went on holiday but
did not have time.  This would have tried to convey just how much there is
to enjoy and how easy it is to be fickle in one's taste from day to day.
Sometimes I sit there listening and marvel at how amazing the whole thing
is and what a wonder of nature it is that man has evolved to bother to
produce all this music regardless of composer or artist.

So Walter what's on your list?

Bob Draper