From:
Ian Crisp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 20:53:08 +0000
Marly Miller quotes Aaron Copland:

>...this obsession with old music, tends to make all music listening
>safe and unadventurous since it deals so largely in the words of the
>accepted masters..."
>
>Disturbing? Unhealthy? Obsession? Unadventurous? These words are, to me, a
>bit rough when describing the old music.  I would appreciate some input on
>this.  Thanks.

I think Copland was absolutely correct, although I suspect that he was
perhaps exaggerating his point just a little for the sake of increased
impact.  You should perhaps note that he was writing about "obsession"
with old music to the exclusion of new music.  He was not suggesting that
anyone who has a balanced interest across old and new is "unhealthy"
because he/she finds things of interest in both.

Ian Crisp