From:
Santu De Silva <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 21:43:24 -0400
I have always loved the piece played as an accompanied violin solo named
the Meditation, from the Opera 'Thais' by Massenet.  (My folks played when
I was a kid, on our old 78 rpm gramophone, which I put forward as an excuse
for being so fond of what is probably regarded as a hacked piece.)

I originally understood that this was a transcription of an aria from the
opera.  However, try as I might, I can't find this aria sung *as* an aria
anywhere.  Thais is rarely performed anymore, it is true, but I love this
melody so much, I would dearly love to hear it sung/played as it was
written.

Does anyone have knowledge of where I might find a recording of the aria,
for what voice is it written (Mezzo?), or whether it is an orchestral
interlude in the opera? I know there are several violinists on the list
(Chris?) and at least one singer, and I'm hoping someone knows.

Two more tiny questions:

1. Was "Who is Sylvia?" by Schubert written for solo or chorus?  This
is another favorite of mine.

2.  Can anyone provide information about a chorus by Beethoven whose
opening line (in English translation) goes:  "The heav'ns proclaim Him
(with ceaseless devotion)" sung in unison? It's a very simple and jolly
piece to sing--we sang it in grade school.  I seem to remember that it was
in C major.  (I asked this question on another list, but I have lost the

Thanking everyone in advance,

Arch