From:
Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 19:29:13 -0400
Donald Satz wrote:

>Arch also mentioned Pinchas Zukerman who possesses strong anti-hip views.
>I remember well an interview in Fanfare where Zukerman sounded very fearful
>and hostile of the HIP movement.  I don't know what his problem was.  It
>could all be resolved (win-win situation) if he showed a little flexibility
>- pick up a baroque violin and learn to play it well; Zukerman problem
>gone.

For crying out loud, Zukerman already plays violin AND viola like a god,
AND he is also a fine conductor.  His tone on the viola especially always
gives me goosebumps, even when he's tuning.  Why not complain that he
doesn't play the marimba or bass trombone, wear red socks, paint like
Picasso, and eat pickled herring with chopsticks? So he doesn't like
HIP ... so what? There are dozens of HIPSTERS who don't like modern
instruments.  Let them play what they enjoy and do best.  There's plenty
of music to go around for everyone.

I don't see any problem.  None at all.  You want HIP? There are dozens
of HIP violin players out there.  Some of my best friends are baroque.
Zukerman is fine, just the way he is.  It ain't baroque: so don't fix it.

Mimi Ezust <[log in to unmask]>