From:
Steven Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 10:38:28 -0500
Juozas Rimas asks for opinions on

>modern music for wind instruments by Ligeti, Villa-Lobos (nice surname),
>Barber, Hindemith and Stockhausen.  Hindemith's "Kleine Kammermusik" was
>a most exciting thing for me, lively and even jazzy.  On the contrary,
>Stockhausen's "Adieu" sounded empty and tiring.

Love the Hindemith.  Haven't heard the Stockhausen.  Like the Ligeti and
love the Barber Summer Music.  Of modern music for winds, I'd add:

Prokofiev: Quintet (although a couple of strings)
Martinu: Sextet for piano and winds
Martinu: Sonata for clarinet
Martinu: Quartet for wind trio and side drum (I like Martinu)
Hindemith: Symphony in Bb for band
Grainger: Lincolnshire Posy
Vaughan Williams: Folk Song Suite for band, Toccata Marziale, Variations
for Band
Holst: Suites 1 & 2 for band, Hammersmith for wind ensemble
Piston: Quintet
Poulenc: Trio for oboe, bassoon, and piano
Poulenc: Sextuor for wind quintet and piano
Poulenc: Sonata for 2 clarinets
Poulenc: Sonata for oboe
Poulenc: Sonata for flute
Poulenc: Sonata for clarinet (I like Poulenc)
Hoiby: Sextet  for wind quintet and piano
Francaix: Trio for oboe, clarinet, and bassoon
Francaix: Quintets 1 and  2
Carter: Wind Quintet

This should keep you occupied for a while.

Steve Schwartz