From:
Bernard Chasan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2006 22:19:27 -0400
>Bernard Chasan wrote:
>
>>Karl Miller lists composers who wrote less than 9 symphonies
>>
>>To this list
>>   Add    Sibelius, Nielsen, Tippett, Prokofieff, Elgar

To my innocent little note, Karl responds with an eloquent essay on
Romanticism - why limit it to the Romantic era?  Indeed he has a strong
case.  Barber's Violin Concerto is as romantic as they come, as is
Nicholas Maw's.  Examples are not hard to find, particularly from the
works of twentieth century composers who works outside "advanced" styles.
But life is complicated.  Is there a twentieth century work more expressive
than the Berg Violin Concerto?  Certainly much of Bartok is rich in
feeling.

On the other end, it is hard to ignore the feep feeling in Mozart's
Fortieth Symphony or the Viola Quintet K. 516.  And there is no ignoring
CPE Bach who actually wrote a harpsichord piece entitled: "CPE Bach, his
feelings." So where if anywhere does this leave us?

Bernard Chasan