From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 18:52:02 +0000
Yoel Arbeitman writes:

>The greatness of Bach's music need not depend on the message of his texts.

Like Yoel, I am a Jewish atheist and don't consider the texts that
Bach set music to as having any significance to the worth of his music.
Bach's music would have been great even if he was setting music to vulgar
rap lyrics.  When I listen to the Passions or Mass in B minor, I sure
don't start feeling like a Christian nor does my religious quotient
rise above zero.

I don't believe that Bach's greatness has any secrets involved -
outstanding architecture, melodies, their development, and the contrasts
among his themes do the trick.  Most important to me is that no other
composer packs as much incisive emotional breadth into a piece of music
as Bach does.  I am always amazed at the complexity, depth, and wealth
of themes that he offers in his so-called miniatures.  To convey a full
meal of music in just one or two minutes is nothing but transcendent.

Don Satz