From:
Ed Zubrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 09:48:58 -0400
Donald Satz wrote:

>Telarc has just released Dvorak's Stabat Mater conducted by Robert Shaw.
>I've heard some good things about it, and about the Kubelik on DG.  Looking
>through Schwann Opus, there are 12 versions listed.
>
>At this point, I'd like to get one recording of the Stabat Mater and
>would appreciate recommendations as to your opinion of the best version
>available.

I have this on the Discover International label with the Slovak Radio New
Philharmonia Orchestra and Choir conducted by Alexander Rahbari. I must say
I am disappointed in both the recording and the piece itself.

The recording (which I believe I picked up as a result of an enthusisatic
review somewhere) has a dry sound and the drama of the piece has a hard
time coming through. This is also true on the Te Deum-- a wonderful short
piece which is the "filler' on this double disc. I have the Te Deum with
Robert Shaw as well, and there is no comparison.

I also find the piece (which I listened to again last night as a result
of Don's post) less than electrifying.  The notes indicate that Dvorak
wrote it following the death's of three of his children within two years.
Granted, such a tragedy might totally incapacitate most of us rather than
spur us towards great artistic creation.  However, I feel that Dvorak
misses the majesty and beauty in the Stabat Mater's reflection on Christ's
mother at the cross.  Instead it is inward directed.  He seems to wallow in
his own misery; he doesn't even rail against God as he (or Christ's mother)
understandably might under the circumstances.

Rahbari takes most of this long piece at the same semi lugubrious tempo.
Not having heard others' interpretations I can't say whether this is a
weakness of the work or of the performance.  In any event, the work drags
and lacks the vitality that contrasts can provide.  The soloists are
undistinguished also, so the piece just sinks deeper into its own
lachrymose.

If I might offer another Stabat Mater by way of comparison I would urge
Don, and others, to check out the Rossini version.  Written late in his
career it has all the charactersistics I find lacking in the Dvorak.
Granted it is more "operatic" which may be a matter of taste.  But the
solos are wonderful and the orchestral writing is vivid and full of color.
My recording is on DG 449-178 with the Vienna Philharmonic conducted by
Myung-Whun Chung.  Soloists include Raul Giminez and Cecilia Bartoli.

I'll be eager to hear others' opinions of the Dvorak on Telarc.

Ed