From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 15:57:25 PST
ASV has paid some attention to Karoly Goldmark in recent years, recording
his Rustic Wedding Symphony and Symphony No. 2.  This time around, they
are giving us two relatively early Goldmark works: his string quartet
of 1860 and string quintet of 1862.  The ensemble performing these works
is the Fourth Dimension String Quartet, a female quartet in their first
recording.  For the string quintet, they are joined by David Smith who
has long been a member of the Alberni String Quartet.

I think that Richard Pennycuick had indicated that Goldmark and Satz would
not be a good combination.  I listen when Richard speaks but still acquired
this ASV disc because I generally have less trouble with romantic-era
composers in their chamber works (and I'm contrary).

Both Goldmark works are very good.  They have some beautiful melodies,
development is highly professional, and best of all, extravagent emotional
displays are not present excepting for a little syrup in the Andantes.
Also, the performers do not try to suck every bit of syrup out of the
compositions - that's great.  For me, the highlight of the disc is the
quartet's first movement: a beautiful piece with subtlety surrounding it
all.

Concerning the performers, they are excellent except for a little sour note
spinning which was at a minimum.  Recorded sound is as good as it gets.

So, we have great works, great sound, and generally great performances.
This adds up to a Must Buy recommendation for chamber music fans.  Goldmark
fans should rush to their real or visual store.  The rest of you can do
whatever you like.  The catlog number is 1071.

Don Satz