From:
Kevin Sutton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 22:41:37 -0500
Miguel Muelle wrote:

>I don't think the "problem' of the standardized standing ovation is
>limited to small orchestras.  I don't know if the original poster was
>speaking of an American orchestra, but I bet he was.

You're quite right.  I just got back this very evening from a fine
performance of Brahms' Deutsches Requiem, and shore nuff, good ole Dallas
stood up.  It's ridiculous.

>I wonder how those who play in the orchestras feel about this.  Do they
>really appreciate being ovated (?) every time?

Since I have some friends in the DSO, I can say, no they do not.  They
think that it is very provincial behaviour on the part of the audience
and that when a standing o is truly deserved, it has no meaning because
the audience does it at every concert.

>Would they like to see some discernment and control, so that when people
>leap to their feet (as I have done on some occasions) it truly means
>something?

Yes, they definitely would.  It's really declasse on the part of audiences
to stand for every concert.

Kevin Sutton